Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Show us your scary face!

I don't like to fuss at my kiddies, but I do like for them to know when they need to reconsider their actions to avoid getting in trouble.  Most kids know when they are doing something that they shouldn't be, and usually you don't have to tell them.  So, instead of saying anything, I usually like to give them a very specific look, so that they know that they need to get it together. I minimize the confrontation, while still teaching my class.  The most frequent are: 
  1. The "Don't even think it about it" glare...which (if unsuccessful) is often followed by... 
  2. The "I dare you to do it again" with the eyebrow arch. Reserved for those repeat offenders who love to test the rules
  3. The "Are you serious right now?"  jaw drop For those moments when something ridiculous happens and I don't know what to do
  4. The "What in the world?" wrinkle For when the common sense is lacking...
  5. The "Not up in here" neck roll complete with the hand on the hip
  6. The "You better not be doing what I think you are doing" with slow motion head turn, wide eyes, and occasionally a nostril flare
  7. The "I really want to laugh but I'm trying to be serious" 
  8. The "It's not that serious" lip purse For the dramatic ones
  9. The "OMG I need the guidance counselor!" panic face
  10. The "Are you bleeding/leaking bodily fluids?"  Usually followed by a huge glob of hand sanitizer...for me.
Well today, I was trying to emphasize the importance of not being silly on stage to my third graders, since they have a program coming up...

Me: ...and if you do something foolish up there, I will give you a really scary face!
Nice girl: Really?  What does it look like?
Me: If you are being ridiculous, you will know it when you see it.
Nicer girl:  So can we see it?
Me: I can't just do it, someone has to do something they aren't supposed to do
Terrible choice of words on my part...I opened the door, and before I could shut it,  they walked right in.  So of course someone starts playing their instrument when they aren't supposed to in an attempt to get a reaction...and they got a slow motion head turn with a #6 "What in the world?" wrinkle
Nice girl: I SAW IT!!!!
Me:  Oh no...it will be much scarier than that...

So for the rest of class, they kept trying to figure out ways to get a scary face from me.

The funny thing is, there were couple of boys in the class who stayed out of the conversation, because they have seen looks 1-6 quite frequently this year...