Friday, February 15, 2013

Hey, who are you? "I'm the New Kid"


Lately we have had an influx of new students.  I don't know if this is just a transient time of year, but it seems like every week, I'm meeting at least three new students (they come in packs!).     

Whenever we get new students, I get notifications in my mailbox.  So I ALREADY KNOW that they are coming.  However, this scenario usually takes place on said new kid's first day in music class...



::students lined up at the door, waiting to come in::
Classroom teacher: We do have a new student today, John, although I'm sure you got a slip in your box.  
Line leader: We have a new student.
Next kid: Hey we have a new student.
::this continues...::
Kid 15: Hey Ms. S, we...
Me: I know about the new kid! I knew before you did!  
New kid: Hi, I'm the new kid.
Me:  (not amused) Is that your name?


Sometimes, I forget that a class has a new student (and the rest of the class doesn't say anything).  That scenario usually goes like this...



::class is seated, waiting for instructions, and one kid is standing aimlessly::
Me: Why aren't you  ::weird face:: Wait, who are you?
New Kid: I'm the new kid.
Rest of class:  That's the new kid.

Thank goodness for those slips in my box, otherwise, I would never know the names of these kids.  It's just like the episode of "Recess" when Gus Griswald came to Third Street School, and the King of the playground took away his name.
  



I like a little change as much as the next person, but I only see each class 45 minutes, once a week, so new kids are not fussed over that much in my room.   The "new kid's" first day in music is a crash course in the lay of the land; and also the only free pass they get.  So, I'm a little bit nicer than I normally am when I have to correct a behavior  (that just means I spare them the crazy looks and the "corrective snap")


New kids are like new shoes; you're really careful with them the first couple days, but after that, you keep it moving. So, the next week, I expect them to fall in line with full compliance just like everyone else.   Music class is only once a week, so they only get one class to be new, and after that they better get with it...