We have been preparing for the 4th grade program. It's about Virginia history. Let's just say that as much as I love living in the Commonwealth, it's no surprise that the history of Virginia was a little rocky. So, it's no surprise that a major part of the program is related to the Civil war and the slavery conflict, all the way up through the civil rights movement. There are speaking parts, and singing. So this was how our initial discussion went...
Super smart girl: Ms. S, how come we can't sing fun, cool songs like the little kids?So we got past that, and now the kids are really excited about being able to have a large part in putting together their program.
Me: Ummm...because your program isn't about rainbows, and counting to ten, and holidays....it's about Virginia. There was nothing "fun" about slavery and the civil war....
Other smart girl: Good point...
All of their ideas are creative and I'm glad that they are taking this seriously. However, children are very literal, and while they don't mean anything offensive, I have found myself having to nicely filter all of the "ideas" that might earn me a spot on the front page of the local paper.
Here are some of the top contenders...
"We could have two darker skinned children on one side, and two...ummm...fair skinned children on the other side, you know like 'separate' but then at the END they come together because they are equal!" Borderline...
"We can hold up a book that says Jim Crow." Oh dear.
"Do you think we should dress like slaves?" I'm pretty sure my eyes flew out of my head at this one.
"We could show the black protesters getting arrested! Can I wear the handcuffs?" To which another child responded with, "Isn't that a little RACIST?"
Every time one of them threw out an idea, I had to strategically "help" them come to a less controversial version of the idea, or run interference by totally changing the idea but making it seem like it was similar. Meanwhile in my head, I could see the headlines...
TEACHER DRESSES STUDENTS AS SLAVES
TEACHER HAS STUDENTS 'SEGREGATED' DURING PROGRAM
TEACHER HANDCUFFS BLACK STUDENT IN ATTEMPT TO SHOW CIVIL RIGHTS INJUSTICE
For those of you cringing in terror right now, it is actually going to be a great program. We are singing a lot of traditional American songs, and there is a good balance of historical facts. I learned a lot just by putting the program together with the kids, so I know that the audience will find it interesting. And my fourth graders are some of my best singers :)
On top of that, the students have a significant amount of input and that makes it a much more exciting experience for them.
Hopefully they are practicing their music over Spring Break!