Today, one of my kindergarten boys told a little girl that he thought she was a "sexy lady". In my head, all I heard was, "HEEEEEEEY, sexy la-day!"
Well the little girl didn't like that very much, because like most girls, she's probably been taught that sexy is a grown-up word. To a kid, "grown-up word" means "BAD". So, she comes to me, not-so-confidentially (everyone heard).
These situations are always so awkward for me, so I told him I would talk to him about it at the end of class, and
The silent tears welled up in his eyes, and I told him that I wasn't angry, but it was too late.
He spent the rest of class in tears, instruments, dancing and all! When they were lined up to go, I pulled him aside, and he starting crying even harder!
"It's not a bad thing! It means pretty. I just think she's pretty!" He kept saying as they walked out of my room.
I saw his teacher at lunch and was about to tell her, but she beat me to it. Apparently when they got back to class, he cried for 45 minutes, because he "just wanted to tell her she was beautiful".
Oh the innocence.