So I didn't do much blogging my first two years...probably because I spent most of them crying or contemplating what other skills I had so I could find another job...but anyways...here's the quick and dirty version...
Disclaimer: These things may or may not have been said to me in the way I portray them, but if my life were a sarcastic cartoon, this is how it would read...
Long-term sub mid-year start: The girl who was supposed to be the teacher...
"We know you interviewed for the teacher position, but it's February already, and well, we are only going to give you sub pay. Oh and that means no benefits. Welcome to ABC Schools!"
"Our new music teacher is soooooo fine!" Gross.
"How old are you? You look my mom's age..."
"Do you have a husband? Tell him I'm gonna beat him up!"
That's all I really remember, as I did my best to block out any memories of those tumultuous 4 months.
We did write and shoot an amazing music video to support reading in our school. It came out great and the kids were really proud of themselves. That was the highlight of my year.
Year 1: The girl with a half year experience...
"It's not that you are a bad teacher, you just have no management skills, you did this wrong, oh and this wrong, oh and that too. Maybe you should go see some GOOD music teachers teach and see what you can learn. Oh, and I want a written report on your experience." I wrote an 8-page paper...and then never heard anything else about my horrible first year management.
"You told a kid to get out. I know I was there and watched him blatantly disrespect you, but still, you told him to get out. You were WRONG for that."
"Oh a kid tried to punch you in your class. Ok. He's suspended for two days. He'll see you next week in music though ok?"
"I want you to teach my self-contained class. I don't know what I want my goals for them are, but they don't speak or sing, so good luck. Oh, and no matter what you try to do or how successful you are, I'm going to talk about how awful I think you are behind your back, because I am secretly depressed that I don't know what to do with my own class, and I would hate for anyone-especially a young first year teacher- to make more progress than me!"
Year 2: The girl who was always in the hospital
"You and your team are very difficult to work with. Other people are complaining." Childish.
Sinus infections (3 to be exact)
"Chorus? Cool Ms. S, I'm in"
"Wait, you want us to sit...and sing? You mean we can't run around like wild animals? Nope. We are going to create our own version of chorus, where you spend 45 minutes trying to get us to sing and we act a fool and make it extremely difficult for you!"
Jury Duty It was like being on a real life episode of Law and Order: SVU...
More nightmarish teacher situations. Lots of lost sleep. Lots of visits to the hospital for various illnesses, most likely stress related. Oh, and wine. LOTS of wine.
Interview
(in a passive aggressive email...about 20 minutes after my interview) "Ms. S, you went on an interview? I'm going to act like it doesn't phase me, but I'm secretly going to give you a hard time for the remainder of the year."
Got the job.
"Yea, we figured they'd like you. I've already got a prospect in mind. Can you call her and schedule an interview? No...I guess I can do that, but can you come up with some questions. I mean, you are the music teacher, so you know what to ask right?"
Appendicitis. 11 days in the hospital
"Ms. S, where have you been? Did you go on a cruise?"
"We heard you quit! Know-it-all-kid-who-hates-you told everyone you quit. And we believed him because 4th graders know everything."
Break the news to the kids
"Yes! Ding Dong the witch is gone!"
"But then who is going to be our teacher?"
::tears, tears, tears::
::hugs, hugs, hugs::
Year 3: The girl with a fresh start
::Angel chorus::
My old piano teacher once told me that every experience-good or bad- is a good experience, because either way you learn something. And I learned A LOT. So even though my first two years were FAR from ideal, they made me a better teacher. I also met some wonderful teachers who became wonderful friends, and that made it worth it.