Friday, January 17, 2014

Why can't you be related to me Ms. S????

I think every teacher has been called "mom" at some point.  I guess it's a compliment of sorts.  But it starts to get a little weird when kids ask you to be their mom, as if they are hiring a new one.  One of my fifth graders regularly asks me to be her mother.  Since I always say no, they have just resorted to spreading rumors of their relation to me...

Boy 1: MS. S!  Are you getting married this weekend? 
Me: WHAT!!?? NO!? Who told you that?
Boy 1: I KNEW IT!  Megan said that she is going to her sister's wedding this weekend, and last week she told us that YOU were her sister!  I knew she was lying!
So when I saw them for class a few days later, it came up again
Boy 2:  Let's clear this up right now!  Ms. S, are you Megan's sister?
Me: I have one sister.  And she is not in 5th grade.  
Boy 1: HA! I KNEW IT!
Megan just laughed...and the rest of them started muttering "I knew it!"


Then, that very same day...
2nd grade girl: Ms. S, are you married?
Me: ummmm...no...
Girl: Ok, well she keeps telling everyone that she's your daughter.
Me: We are of no relation. AND, if we were, she would probably behave better in my class, don't you think?
Girl: Good point.  
Yesterday, I saw this 2nd grade class again, and the girl who is always claiming to be my child runs up to me and says, "You look just like my mom!".  And of course, another kid shouts out, "She looks just like you Ms. S!  She could be your kid!".   

But that wasn't the end of it!  This morning, yet another child claimed some relation to me...
5th Grade Girl: Are you Ashley's aunt?  
Me: ::sigh:: No.  
5th Grade Girl: But that's what she said!
Ashley: NO I DIDN'T!

As strange as it is, I suppose I must be doing something right if so many of my students want to be related to me!