He called you a what?
Kids are really creative when it comes to getting under each others' skin. Most of the time, they make up ridiculous things to say to each other, and then the kid on the other end of it gets offended. So of course, when they tattle, I look insensitive, because it doesn't sound like that big of a deal.
Case and point? Today, this happened in first grade.
Boy 1: STOP IT!
Boy 2 : snickering
Me: What is the problem back there?
Boy 1: He won't stop calling me names!
Me: That's interesting, considering the fact that nobody is supposed to be talking, because I'm giving directions.
Boy 1: glares
Me: Well come tell me what he called you.
Boy 1: angry glare at Boy 2, and slowly walks to the front
Me: While he's making his way up here, who can remind us of what we are suppo---
Boy 1: He called me...princessy.
Me: Wait what? What does that even mean?
Boy 1: glares
In that same class, this also happened:
Girl incessantly waving her raised hand.
Me: It's not question time.
Still waving.
Me: Do you have a question?
Hand waving Girl: Yes. He said----
Me: That's not a question. That sounds like a statement. So, are you telling me something?
Hand waving Girl: Yes. He asked me if I wanted a ::incoherent mumble (with a pouty face)::
Me: A what?
Hand waving Girl: A smelly, dirty sock!
Me: That's gross. Where is this sock?
Sock Boy: It was a joke.
Hand waving Girl: pouty face
Me: Well, I don't see a sock...and (to sock boy) no one would want that anyway...so let's move on...
Every once in awhile though...I hear a genuine attempt at an inappropriate word/name, cleverly masked as something else, but I usually don't figure it out until after the fact...
Little Sister (to her Big brother): Come on you ::incoherent word::!
Little Sister: Ms. S, I call my brother a "funker"!
Little Sister (to her Big brother): Funker! Hurry up?
I was really confused...does he smell or something?
Me (to Big brother): What does that even mean?
Big brother: I don't know...I guess it's a synonym for the other word. HAHAHAHA! Bye Ms. S!