Friday, September 13, 2013

I can't believe she's STILL not married!

Every so often, my students inquire about my "status".  Last year it didn't happen too often.  This year...it already seems to be coming up entirely too much this year.  It's the second week, and I've been asked (to my face) twice...

On the first day of school, as the 5th graders were lining up, I hear lots of whispering and then someone said, No you ask her!" 
Girl 1: Ms. S, are you married?
Me: Ummmm...no.
Girl 2: Dating?
Me: Bye girls.
Girl 1: You really should start dating.
Girl 2: That was her not me!

As if that wasn't bad enough...today, in first grade...
1st grade boy 1: Are you a mom Ms. S?
Me: a tad mortified No.  I don't have any kids. Tries to quickly redirect but...
1st grade boy 2: Are you married?
Me: No. So anyways, next we are going to...
Age Patrol: You got a boyfriend Ms. S???!!?????
Me: NO! Moving on....
1st grade girl: YOU'RE SINGLE?????!!!!!! You should be married!
After finally diffusing the shocked gasps and giggles, they realized that I looked different...
Age Patrol: HEY! Ms. S, where are your glasses?
Me: At home. I have on contacts today...
Age Patrol: Do you always wear makeup?
Me: confused...I'm not wearing makeup...
Age Patrol: Oh. But sometimes you do right?
I wasn't really sure how to take that...

Despite all those distractions, the class ended on a good note (pun intended) when my little age patrol said, "Ms. S, you sing so pretty. Whenever I use my singing voice, I try to sound like you!"

So I guess their rationale is...even though she should be married and has no kids...at least she sings pretty well!

Happy Friday!