SIKE. But the kids love it, even though they find it extremely hard when they realize that it is an actual instrument, and you have to KNOW stuff to be able to play it!
Well this week is belt testing on "Hot Cross Buns", and it is by far my LEAST favorite song of all time. Why? Several reasons:
1) "Guess what Ms. S, I got a recorder from [my brother/sister/dollar store/found it on the corner] and I already taught myself to play Hot Cross Buns!" (and I'm going to remind you every time you try to teach me something because I know it already!)Well the first day of HCB testing was interesting. Last week, they all were begging me to take the test so they could get their white belts* and then this week they show up for the test, and freak out saying, "But I couldn't practice because ::insert carefully-thought-out-but-lame excuse here::"
2) "BUNS!!!! Bahahahaha! GROSS!"
3) "Wait I only have to use B, A, and G? That spells bag!"
What I thought UGH. Excuses...AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT!Needless to say, I tested half the class, and 4 people have to re-test next week. Main reason, they played GAB, instead of BAG.
What I said "Try your best, I'm sure you will do just fine" ::smile::
*BTW...for those of you wondering, I use a method called Recorder Karate. I teach the recorder technique in class, and then we test as we learn new notes, and each test song earns them a belt, similar to real karate. The belts are a piece of colored string that gets tied to their recorder. It keeps them motivated, and gives us all an end goal...the coveted black belt!