Friday, November 13, 2009

Student Teaching

I have completed my first 7-week student teaching experience and I am into my fourth week at my second experience.

Music educators are certified K-12, so we complete two student teaching internships in one semester.  One in elementary school, and one in middle or high school.  

I did my elementary experience first and it was amazing.  I had a wonderful cooperating teacher, a 32-year veteran.  She was an amazing resource, and I learned so much.  I left there feeling like I could walk into my own classroom the next day!  It was a bit overwhelming somedays, especially when you are teaching full lessons to each grade level.  And the lesson plans were non-stop...I was writing lesson plans in my sleep!!!  I did manage to avoid getting H1N1, and any other illness for that matter.  

I did however, catch a case of bronchitis during my first week at my second placement which is in a middle school Chorus class.  (The school was crawling with cases of H1N1, but I had gotten the shot so I was covered!) 

Aside from that, it has been awesome so far.  I'm going into my fourth week.  The kids are really enthused, and I am having a great time teaching theory and rehearsing music.  It's actually helped me sharpen my accompanying skills!  We are working on the winter concert, and I am super excited because I am guest conducting one piece for each grade!!!

That's all for now!